Cancer will be under control before 2021. We see the immense knowledge that is already available and bound to be discovered soon. We realize that a sincere, persistent and efficient collaboration between patients, clinicians and researchers will make this happen. This is our focus.
Reducing Incidence / Prevention
- We will make sure that the awareness and importance of a healthy lifestyle will be better understood by citizens.
- We will improve a healthy lifestyle by promoting nonsmoking, healthy food, less alcohol, more exercise and a healthy weight. We will use evidence based information in our activities.
- We will create a movement in society.
Innovation of the Clinical Practice
- We will urge that scientific knowledge has to be brought faster from the laboratory to the patient.
- We will inform patients that they have their own responsibility in participating in (fundamental) research. We will help doctors to communicate this issue well to their patients.
- We have to change the publication culture and reward structure of scientific research.
- Patients have the right to (access to) the best treatments.
- Patient Advocates must be part of the Scientific Councils and decide on the research agenda.
- We will improve the good use of blood, tissue and other relevant samples and data for research.
- We will make it possible to find the right drugs and make them available.
- We take care of Early Access to Drugs.
- We break down barriers when it comes to making new drugs available.
Quality of Care
- We will arrange that all patients have the right and access to the best care.
- We will promote that patients will be treated in centers of excellence by the best doctors.
- We insist on “making the right decisions” in hospitals.
- Patients have their own responsibility for their recovery and health, during and after their treatments.
- Not just patients will be made more literate. Also doctors have a long way to go. We provide.
Quality of Life
We provide a focus on living with a good quality of life (which can be with cancer) and not on the cancer.
- You are not a cancer patient. You are Isabelle, mother of a child.
- You are not a widow. You are Petra, not a widow of a diseased husband.
- You are not a man with limitations. You are Maurice, friend of Peter
- We optimize research and stimulate international cooperation in research. Only the best research helps patients.
- We will take care of knowledge sharing between patients from different countries.
- We bring patients, clinicians and researchers together to speed up the process of getting cancer under control.
- We provide innovation of all cancer care as fast as possible.
- We break down the silos in research and healthcare.
The role of Patient Advocates
- It’s about the awareness of what to work on for the Patient Advocates.
- It’s about education of the patients and their doctors.
- It’s about being the voice of the patient.
- It’s about being the connection between patients, clinicians and researchers.
- The Patient Advocate is involved in the decision making process in all matters of cancer care and access to cancer care.
- The Patient Advocate is part of the decision making process of the cancer research agenda.